Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

I love Valentine's Day.

Having never been married or even had a serious boyfriend for that matter, it's probably not for the reasons you would think.

I know that "Singles Awareness Day" and "Anti-Valentine's Day" movements are in full swing, but as a single gal, I still LOVE Valentine's Day.

Without fail, God shows up on Valentine's Day and reminds me of some of the things he's blessed me with that I love. Last year, it was watching the Olympics at home with my family while it snowed outside! (Big deal in South Georgia). This year, I'm excited about getting my ticket for Guatemala! One of my good friends, who had the opportunity to intern at a children's home outside of Guatemala City for six months, is taking me back with her during Holy Week so we can minister to the children. I'm so excited! I can't wait to be there and help these kids celebrate Easter!

I was thinking about all this on the way to work this morning. God is so funny in the irony that today, Valentine's Day, is the day I'm finally going to finalize these plans! Maybe it's just because I'm more aware of it, but Valentine's Day has really become a day that I spend reflecting on how thankful I am for all the wonderful things in my life.

It's so easy for me to get distracted by the "if-onlys" in my life. If only I had a better body. If only this guy liked me. If only I could be better..... If only I could ........ Everybody has those. For whatever reason, Valentine's Day has become a day where God really throws how blessed I am in my face. My friends and family make today great! Single or not, I wouldn't trade the time I spend with God on Valentine's Day for anything!


Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, 
and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.
(1 John 4:7)

I know what love is because I know God. Nothing else even begins to compare!

No comments:

Post a Comment